COPYRIGHT NOTICE: Reprint copies of publications are provided here for download. These are intended for personal use only. Generally, copyrights are held by the publishers of the articles. Please download and save only one copy of an article. If you cannot download a paper from the publisher's link, please email me for a PDF copy.
* graduate student, ** undergraduate student
*Lenard, A. & M.E. Gifford. Mechanisms influencing countergradient variation in Prairie Lizards, Sceloporus consobrinus.
Gifford, M.E., *C.D. Robinson, & *M.E. Polett. Maternal condition influences sex allocation, investment, and fitness in hatchling lizards.
Owen, D.A.S, M.L. Holding, J-M. Ballouard, J.D. Chamberlain, B.D. Todd, M.R. Rochford, H.L. Waye, M.P. LeMaster, J.G. Hill, S.J. Beaupre, M.E. Gifford, F.J. Mazzotti, R.T. Mason, X. Bonnet, C.M. Gienger, M.R. Parker, and E.N. Taylor. A model-based comparison of common body condition indices as predictors of stored energy in twelve snake species.
(42) *Robinson, C.D. & M.E. Gifford. Sexual dimorphism in performance and muscle allocation in the western painted crayfish. Journal of Crustacean Biology
(41) *Robinson, C.D. & M.E. Gifford. Intraseasonal plasticity of patch color in the prairie lizard (Sceloporus consobrinus). Herpetologica
(40) *Robinson, C.D. & M.E. Gifford. Individual-level covariation between signaling morphology and performance. Physiological and Biochemical Zoology
(39) *Clay, T.A., M.E. Gifford. 2018. Energy assimilation in a polymorphic salamander. Journal of Herpetology
(38) *Clay, T.A., M.E. Gifford. 2018. Thermal constraints of energy assimilation on geographic ranges among terrestrial salamanders. Journal of Biogeography
(37) *Chamberlain, J.D., *I.T. Clifton, & M.E. Gifford. 2018. Influence of prey size on reproduction among populations of diamond-backed watersnakes (Nerodia rhombifer). Canadian Journal of Zoology.
(36) *Clifton, I.T., *J.D. Chamberlain, M.E. Gifford. 2017. Morphological evolution following colonization of a novel prey environment. Journal of Zoology
*****Paper awarded 2017 Paper of the Year for the Journal of Zoology*****
(35) Gifford, M.E., *C.D. Robinson, & *T.A. Clay. 2017. The influence of incubation conditions and sex on growth and dispersal in hatchling lizards. Ethology 122:1-10.
(34) *Clay, T.A. & M.E. Gifford. 2017. Population level differences in thermal sensitivity of energy assimilation. Journal of Thermal Biology 64:1-6.
(33) Gifford, M.E., *C.D. Robinson, & *T.A. Clay. 2017. The influence of invasive fire ants on survival, space use, and patterns of natural selection in juvenile lizards. Biological Invasions 19:1461-1469.
(32) *Chamberlain, J.D. & M.E. Gifford. 2016. Physical and physiological costs of reproduction in watersnakes. Copeia 2016(3):722-727.
(31) Gifford, M.E. 2016. Physiology of plethodontid salamanders: A call for increased efforts. Copeia, 2016(1):42-51.
(30) *Clay, T.A. & M.E. Gifford. 2016. Thermal sensitivity of aggression in two terrestrial salamanders, Plethodon cylindraceus and P. montanus. Ethology, 122:127-133. link
(29) Korfel, C., *J.D. Chamberlain, & M.E. Gifford. 2015. A test of energetic trade-offs between growth and immune function in watersnakes. Oecologia 179:343-351. link
(28) Verble-Pearson, R.M., M.E. Gifford, & S.P. Yanoviak. 2015. Variation in thermal tolerance of North American ants. Journal of Thermal Biology 48:65-68.
(27) *Brewster, C.L., R.S. Sikes, & M.E. Gifford. 2014. Body size and growth of the Eastern Collared Lizard (Crotaphytus collaris) in central Arkansas. Herpetological Review 45:580-583.
(26) **Diamond, K., **D. Trovilion, **K.E. Allen, **K.M. Malela, **D.A. Noble, R. Powell, D. Eifler, M.E. Gifford. 2014. Individual (co)variation in field behavior and locomotor performance of Curly-tailed Lizards. Journal of Zoology 294:248-254. link
(25) Gifford, M.E., *T.A. Clay, & V. Careau. 2014. Individual (co)variation in standard metabolic rate, feeding rate, and exploratory behavior in wild-caught semi-aquatic salamanders. Physiological and Biochemical Zoology 87:384-396. link
(24) **Les, A.M, M.E. Gifford, J.S. Parmerlee, Jr., & R. Powell. 2014. Do polymorphic Cuban brown anoles (Anolis sagrei) differ in sprint speed or escape behavior? Herpetologica 70:47-55. PDF
(23) Careau, V., M.E. Gifford, P. Biro. 2014. Individual (co)variation in thermal reaction norms: standard and maximal metabolic rates in wild-caught salamanders. Functional Ecology. link
(22) **Winters, A. & M.E. Gifford. 2013. Geographic variation in the water economy of a lungless salamander. Herpetological Conservation and Biology 8(3):741-747. PDF
(21) Gifford, M.E., *T.A. Clay, & *W.E. Peterman. 2013. The effects of activity and temperature on metabolic scaling in a lungless salamander. Journal of Experimental Zoology, Part A 319:230-236. link
(20) *Brewster, C.L., R.S. Sikes, & M.E. Gifford. 2013. Quantifying the cost of thermoregulation: thermal and energetic constraints on growth rates in hatchling lizards. Functional Ecology 27:490-497. link
(19) *Young, V.H.K & M.E. Gifford. 2013. Limited capacity for acclimation of thermal physiology in a salamander, Desmognathus brimleyorum. Journal of Comparative Physiology, B 183:409-418. link
(18) Langerhans, R.B., M.E. Gifford, O. Dominguez-Dominguez, D. Garcia-Bedoya, T.J. DeWitt. 2012. Gambusia quadruncus (Cyprinodontiformes: Poeciliidae): a new species of mosquitofish from East-central México. Journal of Fish Biology 81:1514-1539. link
(17) Gifford, M.E., R. Powell, & T.A. Clay* 2012. Habitat use and activity influence thermoregulation in a tropical lizard, Ameiva exsul. Journal of Thermal Biology 37:469-501. PDF
(16) Gifford, M.E. and Kozak, K.H. 2012. Islands in the sky or squeezed at the top? Ecological causes of elevational range limits in montane salamanders. Ecography 35:193-203. PDF
(15) **Muniz Pagan, D.H., R. Powell, J.S. Parmerlee, Jr., & M.E. Gifford. 2012. Ecological performance in an actively foraging teiid lizard, Ameiva ameiva. J. Herpetol. 46:253-256. PDF
(14) Langerhans, R.B., Gifford, M.E. and Joseph, E.O. 2010. Ecological speciation among blue holes in mosquitofish. In M. Uribe and H. Grier, eds. Viviparous Fishes II. Homestead, FL, New Life Publications. (email for PDF)
(13) Langerhans, R.B, Gifford, M.E. 2009. Divergent selection, not life history plasticity via food limitation, drives morphological divergence between predator regimes in Gambusia hubbsi. Evolution 63:561-567. PDF
(12) Gifford, M.E. and A. Larson. 2008. In situ genetic divergence in Ameiva chrysolaema: A multilocus perspective. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 49:277-291. PDF
(11) Wittenberg, R.D., Gifford, M.E. 2008. Funnel traps may be inappropriate for many studies of semi-aquatic snakes. J. Freshwater Ecol. 23:213-218.
(10) Gifford, M.E. 2008. Divergent character clines across a recent secondary contact zone in a Hispaniolan lizard. J. Zool. 274:292-300. PDF
(9) Gifford, M.E., D.L. Mahler, and A. Herrel. 2008. The evolution of sprinting performance among populations of Leiocephalus lizards from the Dominican Republic. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 93:445-456. PDF
2007 and prior:
(8) Langerhans, R.B., Gifford, M.E., and E. Joseph. 2007. Ecological speciation in Gambusia fishes. Evolution, 61:2056-2074. PDF
(7) Gifford, M.E. and R. Powell. 2007. Sexual dimorphism and reproductive characteristics in five species of Leiocephalus lizards from the Dominican Republic. J. Herpetol., 41:521-527. PDF
(6) Glor, R.E., Gifford, M.E., A. Larson, J.B. Losos, L. Rodriguez-Schettino, A. Chamizo-Lara, and T.R. Jackman. 2004. Partial island submergence and speciation in an adaptive radiation: a multilocus analysis of the Cuban green anoles. Proc. Roy. Soc. Lon., Biol. Sci. 271:2257-2265. PDF
(5) Gifford, M.E., R. Powell, A. Larson, and R.L. Gutberlet, Jr. 2004. Population structure and history of a phenotypically variable teiid lizard (Ameiva chrysolaema) from Hispaniola: The influence of a geologically complex island. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 32:735-748. PDF
(4) Fontenot, B.E., Gifford, M.E., and R. Powell. 2003. Seasonal variation in dietary preferences of a Hispaniolan anole, Anolis longitibialis. Herpetol. Bull. 86:2-4.
(3) Gifford, M.E., Y.M. Ramos, R. Powell, J.S. Parmerlee, Jr. 2002. Natural history of a saxicolous anole, Anolis longitibialis, from Hispaniola. Herpetol. Nat. Hist. 9:15-20.
(2) Cast, E., M.E. Gifford, K.R. Schneider, A.J. Hardwick, J.S. Parmerlee, Jr., and R. Powell. 2000. Natural history of an anoline lizard community in the Sierra de Baoruco, Republica Dominicana. Carib. J. Sci. 36:258-266.
(1) Gifford, M.E., R. Powell, and W.E. Stiener. 2000. Relationship of diet and prey availability in Aristelliger cochranae, a gecko from Navassa Island, West Indies. Carib. J. Sci. 36:323-326.
Cover of the April 2013 issue of Functional Ecology highlighting our paper on the energetic cost of thermoregulation in hatchling collared lizards.